There are all sorts of nasty food additives to avoid these days. Here are 10 you really should avoid.
1. Monosodium Glutamate (msg / e621) - This additive can seriously damage your health. It's widely used in processed foods.
2. High fructose corn syrup or glucose / fructose - This is a common sweetener found in sodas and fruit flavored drinks. As use of high-fructose corn syrup has increased, so have levels of obesity and related health problems.
3. Artificial sweeteners - there are no studies on the effects of these sweeteners and the possible long-term consequences of people consuming them.
4. Common food dyes - In Europe, Dyed Foods Get Warning - But in the US the FDA has deemed them not worthy of a warning.
5. Trans fat - Trans fat in food: As bad as it gets / Scientists' warning: A long-awaited federal report on trans fat, a processed fat pervasive in cookies, crackers and fast food, finds there is no safe level.
6. BHA and BHT - antioxidants BHA (E320) and BHT (E321) have been identified as a possible cause of local skin reactions.
7. Sodium Nitrate / Sodium Nitrite - Sodium nitrite is a dangerous, cancer-causing ingredient that has no place in the human food supply. The USDA actually tried to ban sodium nitrite in the 1970's but unfortunately was stopped by the meat processing industry, which relies on the ingredient as a color fixer to make foods look more visually appealing.
8. Potassium Bromate - Potassium bromate is in flour used strengthen dough - California must carry a warning label if potassium bromate has been used. Find out why.
9. Sodium Sulfite (e221) - WARNING! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED. MAY CAUSE ALLERGIC REACTION AND BREATHING. DIFFICULTIES
10. Sulfer Dioxide (e220) - Public Warning by the Gov
You do have to ask yourself... If these chemicals are poisonous why are they putting them in our food? If it's ok with everyone else i'd prefer to not have foreign chemicals in my food. I don't understand when or how it became acceptable to start putting synthetic chemicals in food for any excuse. ? :(
Source: Natural Cures Not Medicine